Old ways of working don’t work
In the past the key to business success was efficiency and compliance. The leader was often the expert and trained their teams to follow the most optimal processes steps without deviation. Profitability and market edge came from faster and more cost efficient production.
Today efficient processes and standard operating procedures are still important, but they have been superseded by the ability to rapidly learn and apply new thinking through interdisciplinary collaboration, problem solving and innovation.
The successful leader now delivers a competitive edge by their ability to create high trust environments that support inter-team cooperation.
Nowhere is this more true than in a scaling tech company.
Technical skills are not enough
Our cognitive ability heavily relies on the healthy functioning of the prefrontal cortex. Companies that focus solely on technical skills development are missing out on the benefits that effective brain friendly people skills bring.
So how can we work in a way that supports your people’s ability to access our PFC?
Two things you can do:
- For individuals – boost self-awareness and a basic understanding of the brain
- For your leaders – develop brain friendly leadership skills
1: Boost self awareness
Self-awareness might surprise you, but it is the No 1 people skill for your tech business.
By helping your people understand their brain and have greater self awareness you can support their ability to:
- recognise their stress triggers and how to self-regulate
- recognise cognitive bias and unlock better decision making
- understand the key aspects of focus and how to better manage their attention
- understand the impact their communication has on other
- build connection and create a more positive social impact on others
- Innovate and unlock insights in themselves and others
- boost memory and learning.
2: Create brain friendly leaders
Brain-friendly leadership skills are essential for all your people leaders so they can deliver strategic priorities and growth in a way that maintains engagement, collaboration and best thinking in others. By raising awareness of how the PFC functions and how to keep people fully connected to their PFC, leaders can become experts in enabling their teams to do their best thinking, no matter what pressures they are under.
Interested in learning more?
The team at Northern Value Creators are experienced in developing brain friendly leadership skills across tech companies. Our coaches make a difference through talks, workshops, coaching and training programmes.
We’d love to start a conversation with you about how brain friendly leadership could boost your business.